Saturday, August 14, 2004

As simple as something that nobody knows

Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself.
He was always there to help her.
She always belonged to someone else.
I drove for miles and miles
And wound up at your door.
I've had you so many times
But somehow I want more.

I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain.
Look for the girl with the broken smile.
Ask her if she'd like to stay awhile
And she will be loved.

Tap on my window, knock on my door,
I wanna make you feel beautiful...
It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along....

I know where you hide, alone in your car,
Know all of the things that make you who you are.
I know that goodbye means nothing at all.
She comes back and begs me to catch her every time she falls...

Please don't try so hard to say goodbye...


- Excerpts from "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5

Olivier's with us for God knows how long now. It's interesting how this came to be. I was home alone, my dad and brother out at a praise band gig in New Berlin and my mom at a nun performance in Little Falls. Scud was at my house just chilling with me and was about to leave when the doorbell rings. It's one of my brother's friends, wondering if he'll come skateboarding. I told the kid he wasn't home, so he leaves. About two seconds later it rings again. I'm about to go tell the kid to shove it (reminiscent of Theresa Heinz Kerry...;-P) when I realize it's Olivier, the French student my family housed for the first half year I was in Germany. I had only met him the day I came back, because he left the day after that. I knew he was back to visit, because I'd seen him at Savanna's party and he'd come to our house to visit and stayed overnight once while I was in Oswego with Aaron.
I let him come in and he told me his story: he basically got kicked out of the place he's living in now so he figured he'd stop by and ask to use our phone to give them a call to see what was going on. He ended up having no place to stay so I told him that of course he could stay with us, as long as he doesn't mind sleeping on the downstairs pull-out couch. His stuff was brought to him and he made himself comfortable. We watched Tomb Raider on TV until my mom came home. Then we watched a little Who's Line... until I decided to go to bed. We have no idea how long he'll be staying with us. It's interesting, though. It's like finally being there to go through what my family went through while I was gone and Olivier lived with us. He's a funny kid.
11 more days until I go. I really can't wait. I hope I can finish knitting my scarf before I leave!
That Maroon 5 song I basically quoted all of? Great stuff...the video's nice, too. Somehow it seems to go along with basically everything I think's been going on lately.
I really hope I get this Work Study job at the University Press. I found an ad on Syracuse's JobNet website for a Federal Work Study job at the University Press which pays $7 an hour. I'd be working 10-15 hours a week. As a clerical employee there, I would file stuff, type letters, and even get to proofread manuscripts. It sounds like the perfect job for me, because I want to submit my own manuscript sometime. This could be the perfect opportunity for me to obtain connections so that it might be easier for me to finally publish something. I called their office and the employer told me to send in my resume. I typed it up, along with a quite convincing cover letter, and sent it all out the next day. It's amazing how fast something can be done with a little incentive. Hopefully we'll get in touch and set up an interview when I get to school. I really hope I get it before someone else does. I wouldn't rather be doing anything else as a job. To believe I get paid to proofread manuscripts! Amazing. I'll even get to "maintain relations" with editors and writers over the phone and through written correspondence. I'm so anxious for everything to start happening.
I've already started packing. So far I have my towels, a few items of clothing for colder weather, my desk lamp, my dry-erase board, my books, journals, and photo frames packed. This is only the beginning. I figure I should wait until at least Thursday of next week (the 1 week to go mark) to finish the rest. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM , Blogger Dief said...

wow...i had no idea. that is crazy...it would feel weird to just show up at someones house and ask to stay...hope everything works out for him.

miss you...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home