Monday, April 25, 2005

Monday, you could fall apart

I'd like to take this time to bring truth to the rumors of my return to Germany. It is true; from May 21 until June 5, I will be visiting Bad Segeberg, my second hometown, after a long, nearly 3-year absence.
As you can imagine, I'm incredibly excited. My 4th host family, the Kossens, will be taking me in for the two weeks I'll be there. There'll be so much to do. As I think about it, I can already envision that house perfectly -- my room in the basement, the back porch, the kitchen, the living room with the fireplace and record player, the backyard with the trampoline, the little TV room where we played chess and war and watched TV and the news and eat Haribo candy -- and my mind just drifts back there, as if I was really there. Sitting out on the porch late at night in early summer watching the sun set, jumping on the trampoline with my then-8-year-old sister Cara, eating Doener, Sunday mornings eating Broetchen with Nutella in the dining room, going to East Germany for a bohemian-style wedding on a field on a farm where I spent the night sleeping in the hay in a loft of a barn, attending a relative's 50th birthday party and sleeping in his basement after "throwing the rules out" and drinking wayyy too much wine, watching my host father Klaus and my male host cousins smoke a fat cigar. God, I miss that family. They seem really excited to have me, as well, and offered to pick me up/drop me off from/at the airport in Hamburg.
This flight should be interesting, especially because, on the way there, I get on at JFK and land at around 6am in London, then around 8am I'll fly to Hamburg, where at 10am I'll arrive.
Until the 21st, I'm busy finishing up the semester at SU. The end of my freshman year is coming to an end, and it's hard to believe that it's already almost over. Still, it's also hard to believe how much has happened. I've met so many people and done/seen so much -- it's hard to believe how many people I'll meet next year.
I'm almost completely certain that Jordan, Ivan, Steve, Jeff, Jeremy, and I will be in apartments on Winding Ridge (South campus) next year, right alongside Paul, Dickie, and RJ. It's going to be an interesting sophomore year, especially considering I'm just as certain that I'll be head copy editor at the DO next year. That means even later hours and a staff of three assistants in my charge. Of course, a lot of the old staff will also be around for even more wild nights. Add to all that a 15-credit courseload, and you'll have a pretty interesting fall 2005 semester, I'm sure.
Well, I've started my philosophy paper, which is due next Monday. Technically, I could work on it over the weekend, but we all know how productive weekends are for the average college student. I'm going to do it a little at a time. I did the first page-and-a-half today. Maybe later I'll do some more. This week I'll be busy studying for two exams (arts and ideas II and psychology), working, and possibly starting my 5-page psychology paper, which I'd (ideally) like to start next week, though I don't know how possible that would be. It's due next Friday, so there's still time. I have a knack for producing better work when there's a week or less before a paper or written assignment is due.
26 more days until my return...
The change will come; the change is here.
Love fades out, then love appears.

Now my water's turned to wine,
And these thoughts I have
I now can claim as mine.

I'm coming home.

Change has been what change will be.
Time will tell, then time will ease.

Now my curtain has been drawn,
And my heart can go
Where my heart does belong.

I'm going home.

-- Collective Soul, "Reunion"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home