Sunday, May 08, 2005

It's you and me and all of the people

In a few days, my freshman year of college will officially be over. It's definitely a melancholy time as people move out. I, like the nostalgic person I am, will be one of the last to leave -- the one who turns out the light at the end of the show, the one who sticks it out until the very, bitter end. I can't help but look at the empty beds of people who have moved out and think that we'll never be able to recreate those times, those exact moments, that exact personality that their room took on. When Jordan and Ivan move out, it'll be even sadder. After Tuesday, I'll be all alone, waiting for the signal to turn the light out, and then it'll be all over. I'm definitely looking forward to the promises of next year, but at the same time I lament the snuffing out of another year, my first year of college.
Where posters once hung, sheets once sprawled across the bed, laptops whirred softly in the background, and clothes lay in a heap on the floor now lies a sad mix of dust and old wrappers and pushpins, artifacts of the life that once filled the room and the events that took place there. It's strangely brighter because the window shades are wide open, letting in an ironic sunlight that casts shadows across the waning energy as it sets into the horizon. It's a mournful sunlight that shines upon Syracuse these days. I was expecting rain for a mood like this, or at least mist.

2 Comments:

At 1:37 AM , Anonymous dan said...

it's a drag huh

 
At 1:41 PM , Anonymous Jordan said...

mist, pssshhh. mist only occurs in the coolest places; like Scotland or gold courses. mist in Syracuse...are you on crack?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home