Saturday, May 14, 2005

No matter where you are

There's exactly one week until I get on a plane and fly to that little town of Bad Segeberg that I've become so fond of, even after two-and-a-half years of absence.

Here's my itinerary:
To Germany --
  • JetBlue >> Depart from Syracuse, NY, USA at 11:15am, 21 May 2005 >> Arrive at JFK airport, New York City, NY, USA at 12:15pm, 21 May 2005
  • United Airlines >> Depart from JFK airport, New York City, NY, USA at 6:50pm, 21 May 2005 >> Arrive at Heathrow airport, London, UK at 6:55am (12:55am EST), 22 May 2005
  • Lufthansa >> Depart from Heathrow airport, London, UK at 8:20am (2:20am EST), 22 May 2005 >> Arrive at Hamburg, Germany 10:45am (4:45am EST), 22 May 2005

From Germany --
  • Lufthansa >> Depart from Hamburg, Germany 9:55am (3:45am EST), 5 June 2005 >> Arrive at Frankfurt, Germany 11:00am (5:00am EST), 5 June 2005
  • Lufthansa >> Depart from Frankfurt, Germany 1:30pm (7:30am EST), 5 June 2005 >> Arrive at JFK airport, New York City, NY, USA at 3:55pm, 5 June 2005
  • JetBlue >> Depart from JFK airport, New York City, NY, USA at 10:50pm, 5 June 2005 >> Arrive at Syracuse, NY, USA at 11:55pm, 5 June 2005
I just booked the flights from Syracuse to New York City tonight. The layovers between those flights and my flight to London/from Frankfurt are about 6 hours long, which I find ridiculous, but it's better than having my parents drive 5 hours each way to the city to pick me up. Also, my parents paid for the tickets from Syracuse to JFK and back. Hopefully Ivan and I can get together for a few hours between those flights from the city.
Dennis called me yesterday and I was surprised at my fluency in German while speaking to him. I think I surprised him, too, because he remarked about my fluency even after two-and-a-half years of not being in the country. I surprise myself how much of the language I've retained after all those years. Maybe I really am sprachbegabt, like they said I was.
There's so much going on and so much to plan -- parties, grilled dinners, evenings with my family, a visit to Oma Harz, a visit to a Rotary Club meeting, visits to my old friends and families -- the list goes on. It's going to be a wonderful, busy two weeks.
But to those who I'll leave behind and those from school I miss already so dearly, here are a few words:
No matter where you are,
I can still hear you when you drown.
You've traveled very far,
Just to see you, I'll come around.
When I'm down,
All of those yesterdays coming down.

No matter where you are,
I can still hear you when you dream.
You've traveled very far,
You've traveled far, like a star.
And you are
All of those yesterdays coming down...


-- Smashing Pumpkins, "Drown"

2 Comments:

At 10:22 PM , Blogger David said...

have a great trip
I am jealous, I need a break
You WILL tell us all about it after you return? Yah?

 
At 1:01 AM , Blogger David said...

if you are over your jet lag, do tell us the highlights of your visit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home