Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Last stop: this town

Yeah, so I decided it was high time for another template change...This one seemed more "professional." Maybe I'll find an artsier one someday.

The best part about living in a big city is its anonymity. If you meet people you end up not liking, you can simply disappear into the crowds of inhabitants and not have to talk to them again. What's even better, you can always look them up if you want to revive your relationship.
As for small towns, everyone knows everyone else's business, and every day you're forced to deal with those people you don't get along with anymore. The town tries its best to keep a high moral standard and gets up in arms when something scandalous takes place. Still, it keeps it under wraps, leaving it for a topic of conversation that only comes up under the utmost privacy. In cities, it isn't like that at all. Everyone knows the vices of the city, and no one does anything about it, nor do they care. It gives the city a personality.
Naturally, being the person I am, I prefer cities over towns. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town. Still, it's always good to come back to the quiet and down-home attitudes. I do not like, however, the fact that I'm expected to uphold this high moral standard. If I caused a little ruckus, I'd be socially rejected. Well, maybe that's why I don't have that many strong bonds with the friends I went to high school with. The bonds I have with my Syracuse friends are so much more lasting and deep.
I can imagine every day on South being like an episode from Friends. It's hard to explain the bonds we share. I can't wait to see them all again. I'm already thinking of things to buy, such as kitchen utensils.
I still don't have my room back. I'm getting sick of it.
My job at the skate park starts next Monday, June 27, at 9 a.m. It's a seven-week program. I'll be getting $5.15 an hour at 18 hours a week. Not bad. It's also a day job, which should be good.
Taking a spin through the neighborhood,
The neighbors scream, "Whatcha talkin' about?"
'Cause they don't know how to let you in,
And I can't let you out.

What if I was not your only friend in this world?
Can you take me where you're going
If you're never coming back?

I'm gonna fly on down
For the last stop to this town.
I'm gonna fly on down
Then fly away on my way...


-- Eels, "Last Stop: This Town"

And this song...oh man. Its words just say so much with so little. Maybe if you read them, you'll understand. This is only one half of the song, however.
Take a long drive with me on California One.
And the road a-winding goes,
From Golden Gate to roaring cliff side,
And the light is softly low
As our hearts become sweetly untied
Beneath the sun of California One.

Take a long dram with me of California wine
And the wine, it tastes so sweet
As we lay our eyes to wander,
And the sky, it stretches deep.
Will we rest our heads to slumber
Beneath the vines of California wine,
Beneath the sun of California One?


-- The Decemberists, "California One/(sans) Youth and Beauty Brigade"

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Jiz said...

THE NUKER!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home