Monday, August 01, 2005

I can't wait 'til the future gets here

What an exciting week it's been!
I suppose I should start out with the two concerts I attended this past week. On Wednesday, I headed out to Buffalo yet again to visit Scott, my nana, and the Dave Matthews Band at Darien Lake. Scott went, too. It was a pretty good concert, made better only by the company I was with. I only wish that Dave had played less songs from Stand Up. I could go on with my regular spiel about his biggest career mistake, but I won't, to save time, space, and your attention.
On Saturday, I saw "my dad" in concert, that is, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I say my dad because my dad's name is Tom Petty, in case you didn't already know. It was interesting to hear people shout my last name and my dad's name all night. I rode up with Nick, Andrew (whom I hadn't seen in a long time), and Jory, some old friends from Ilion and former students of my dad. I ended up hanging out with the regular Mohawk crew: Campione, Burton, Brant, Alison, Bowman, Frenchie, and Greg (whom I also hadn't seen in awhile). Brant, Greg, Campione and I got up close to the rail on the left side of the stage, and The Black Crowes took the stage. I was expecting better from them; their last song was the only song I knew. They sounded more like a jam band dressed up like Stillwater from Almost Famous.
Once the sun set and we were waiting for Petty to come on, Campione saw Frenchie coming our way. He and two other friends had seats on the floor. It turns out that one of his friends didn't feel well and had to go home, but he didn't want to leave. Long story short, Campione and I ended up with Frenchie's friends' tickets! The show was amazing; the band played everything I had hoped they would in all the right places. I even enjoyed the songs I didn't quite know. The energy level was incredibly high, as compared to Dave, where the atmosphere was more appropriately chill and romantic.
Before the Petty concert, Campione had a party at his house, kind of like an "engagement" party for Alison and Bowman. There were more people there than I'd ever seen at his house, and I'd just expected the old crew I'd been hanging out with there all summer to be there. Even Brant, Woody, Greg, and Josh showed up. That was probably the best party of the summer, the party I'll remember when I look back on my summer.
Last night, Scott showed up for an hour on his way from Poughkeepsie (it took Jordan, a native of Chicago, to tell me the correct spelling of that word...) to Syracuse. It was nice to see him. It's probably the last time I'll see him before the 23rd, when we go back to school. I can't wait. Come to think of it, it doesn't seem that far away, since it's already August 1st already.
As it is, I'll be going back to school early. There's a lot of work to do at/for the D.O. I hope I end up recruiting (or, as Jared calls it, "tricking") freshmen into writing for us. I'll be staying with Dana for the three days before I'm allowed to move in for Goon Squad. On the 23rd, my staff comes back, as does Scott.
Speens is coming to visit me on the weekend of Sept. 9th! It's going to be awesome; that Saturday, we're going to Utica to an Umphrey's McGee concert, one of his favorite bands that I'm just getting into. This will be the first time I'll meet in real life someone I met on the Internet.
...But as I'm growing older, I'm bored.
I remember when misery thrilled me much more
When I can't relax,
And I'd like to go back.
But that's gone; yeah, that's gone.
Turn around; turn the volume down.
We're counting the days down

'Til the day when we live in a video.
I'll be stone-faced and pale;
You'll pout in stereo 24 hours every day of the year.
Oh, what fun; I can't wait 'til the future gets here.

-- Ben Folds Five, "Video"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home