Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Looking back with perfect symmetry

In the early hours of the morning, I kept waking up, bothered by lines that kept cutting into my head. Grabbing my journal, I wrote them down. This is the result of the poem, recently given the name "In That Place of Ecstasy," that followed.
In that place of ecstasy,
I wished for a moment
I could be your pillow.
I’d hold on to countless memories
Of how I’d tuck you into bed
Like a mother
Each night.
Somehow I’d feel wiser
Being the unobtrusive, observant
Protector of your head.

Your bed looms large,
A formidable undertaking
For such a small one as myself
To climb.
I remember becoming
Enveloped in your blankets,
Wrapped up in infinity
As you kissed me goodnight.
I could have lain like that forever,
Lost in oblivion,
Only returning to the smallness of the world
As you swim back up to meet my head,
Gasping for air on your pillow.


(c) 2005 Liz Petty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home