Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My name is hope -- luck just ran out

Another day, another shift at Goldstein. I like this job. Sure, it may not pay as well as The Buffalo News, but it does pay better than The Daily Orange, and for less hours, too. If you're interested, here is my work schedule:
Monday 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
This weekend is going to be nuts. Scott's coming back for visit No. 2 on Thursday. He'll stay with Heather and me until Friday, because Saturday I'm off via Amtrak to Buffalo. I can't wait for that adventure. I love traveling. Alone, with people -- it's all exciting. It'll be nice to visit the city I spent the summer in, especially with old friends (and various members of rock 'n' roll bands). On Sunday, Jeremy and I are going to check out the Tea Leaf Green show at the Town Ballroom on Main Street. I hope the band members recognize me. I'm looking forward to a reprisal of Trevor's and my "Jesus Christ Superstar" singing extravaganza.

I leave Monday morning for Syracuse. I'm really hoping my train comes in on time, because my mom will be there to pick me up at the Regional Transit Center to bring me home in time (with hope) for an important doctor's appointment. After that, I hope to spend some time at home and head back to Syracuse in the evening. I still haven't found someone to work my shift that day. I hope everything works out, because there's absolutely no way I can cover it myself.

From Oct. 12 to 15, I'm coming home! I have a feeling it was the pills, but last week I had these intense feelings of homesickness, this incredible pull to go home and get back to my roots, enjoying the small-town life. I bought a bunch of Lillian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who ..." books, because they feature small-town life in such a way that reminds me of home, and reading them has staved off my urges, at least for the present. I'm feeling better now. Knowing that I'll be spending a long weekend at home also helps. It's also the perfect weekend to be home, too, because of my aunt's birthday on the 13th. I hope to do a lot of cooking. Is it Thanksgiving break yet? Or even better, winter break? God, it isn't even mid-semester ...

I shouldn't be feeling that way. College is for enjoying, isn't it? Well, I shouldn't act like I don't enjoy it. Weekends, parties, little to no parental oversight ... how could someone my age not like that? I'd be lying if I said I didn't. But there comes a time when you have to put that aside for a while and get back to the things that really matter.

Geez, I'm becoming more traditional with each passing day. I hope I don't end up as a country bumpkin-esque housewife ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home