Sunday, December 24, 2006

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

It's Christmas break, and I actually made Dean's List this semester, much to my extreme surprise. We celebrated Christmas last night with my mom's side of the family, since on Christmas day we're going to Buffalo to see Nana and celebrate with her and that side of the family.

Chris is here, but it'll be hard for us to see each other because it's Christmas Eve and both our families are busy with our own stuff. We hung out a little last night, though. Luckily, we're staying in Buffalo until Wednesday, so there'll be time to see him then, too.

I got the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund internship! I'll be at the New Bedford Standard Times this summer in New Bedford, Mass. A two-week orientation takes place at Penn State from May 20 to June 1, and then the week after that my internship starts. Dow Jones pays for everything -- transportation, meals, accommodations to and from the orientation and to and from orientation to the internship site. I'm so excited. New Bedford is right on the water, near Cape Cod, in southern Massachussetts. It's 30 miles east of Providence, R.I., and 60 miles south of Boston. A la "Almost Famous," "It's all happening."

I got a lot of good things for Christmas, most having to do with cooking. A new casserole dish, an 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish, a food processor, a neat salad spinner with its own stop function. As it was, I just wasted $20 on a new filter and filter basket for my steam espresso machine, since I thought I'd lost the filter basket and when I went to get a new one online I had to buy both the filter and the basket together. Altogether it came to about $23. A couple days later, of course, the lost filter basket was found. So frustrating!

I kind of came out to my family last night that I'm agnostic. Needless to say, my mom didn't seem too pleased. We were sitting at the dinner table talking about heaven, and I said something about how all sin is equal, and my family was like that's right, that's good, I'm like well I may not be a Christian, but it's not like I totally forgot about the things I learned growing up. To that, my mom said, "Well, if you're not a Christian, than what are you?" My reply: "Agnostic." The look she gave me said more than she could have ever expressed verbally. It made me feel bad, but this is who I am. I'm not going to change my life just because it doesn't meet their ideals of how a person should be. I'm 21 years old; they've done their work, and I'd say I came out pretty well. It's time to let me have my own opinions and beliefs. For the most part, they've been good about that. It just frustrates me that they continue to try to get me to go to church and push me back in the direction of the religion I started giving up about five years ago. If I do go back, it will be my own decision and my own will, not because of their influence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home