Monday, September 03, 2007

Wondering aloud how we feel today

*sigh* Summer has been over for a couple weeks now, and I'm back in Syracuse for the last school year of my life. I had to go back earlier than previously planned because of fall training for work at the info desk, which now I have to do at both Schine and Goldstein. Schine's a little crazier, but it's good to have that kind of pressure to live up to. I adapted and knew more about things down there than I had expected.

My class schedule isn't so bad, either: Monday through Thursday, with Friday through Sunday off to do homework, hang out, etc. Just be. I've had the worst case of senioritis even since the beginning of this past summer. The courseload doesn't seem that bad, however. Some require a lot of reading, though, and I spent an unexpected $300 on books this semester, which you can imagine put my bank account back a pretty penny; not to mention the fact that right after fall training, about four days before my return to Syracuse, I took my car into the shop to get an oil change and some things looked at. I told the mechanic to investigate this intense shaking in the wheel that happened every time I went between 60/65 and about 80 mph. Turns out there was a lot wrong with the car, nothing I'd done myself, just simple wear and tear. Plus, two of the tires were the incorrect size for the car, which made matters even worse. All in all, I had to get new struts, tires, screws, etc. (I don't even know all the work they did), amounting to about $1,000 of work. This past month I can perfectly sum up in three words: I be poor.

Leaving SouthCoast was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I have more amazing memories from that summer than I'll ever amass again over the same period of time. The people at The Standard-Times are like a family to me and were so charismatic, welcoming ... it's hard to explain the dynamic in that office and how it works so amazingly and in such a way that I felt instantly like one of them. On my last night of work, I was presented with a cake that read "Good Luck Liz" on it. Everyone told me I was the best intern the paper had ever had, and that I should come back. I really want to. If by next year there's a job there for me, I won't hesitate to take it. I'm so grateful for and amazed by the wonderful friendships and memories I made at that paper, as well as in Providence with my roommates and people I happened to befriend there. Don't worry, southern New England: You haven't seen the last of me yet.

The last shebang of the summer happened a day before I left. Darren and I took a day trip to P-town, or Provincetown, Mass., right on the tip of Cape Cod. It was one of the most amazing, beautiful days, and we have the pictures to prove it. Perhaps, when I get time (I have to work the 9:30-to-12:30 Goldstein shift this morning, and then I'm going home to pick up some stuff I left), I'll post them. The fabulous trip culminated with dinner at this nice, authentic Italian restaurant, complete with a heavy-duty espresso machine and Chianti bottles of various sizes adorning the walls ... and I mean adorning. It was just such a great day; it's hard to explain any more.

Not to say that life back in Syracuse has been boring or drab. This past Wednesday, I went back to Buffalo for the first time in over a year to see Tea Leaf Green at the Town Ballroom, my third time seeing them and the second time at the Town Ballroom. The show was simply stunning, and it was fun to hang out with Trevor, Josh, Plateface and the rest of the troupe afterwards. We even hung out with an eight-piece "afro-electronique" band from Cleveland, Ohio, called Mifune. They had done a great set during the show, and I was impressed by those cool cats. I hope to see them again sometime. I left around 5 a.m. after a long night of partying like a rock star, and didn't get back until around 7:30. At one point I got so tired I pulled over to a rest stop, locked all my doors and slept for about half an hour as the sun rose before me. I was suddenly jerked awake by some unknown force and continued on my way.

Yesterday was Juice Jam, which this year took place on South Campus, much to my and Heather's delight. What's more: Third Eye Blind was the headlining band, a group I'd been trying for years to see live. Unfortunately, however, I was a bit disappointed by their stage presence and quality of the music before a live audience. Maybe they're different outside a college setting, but I feel like they were just trying to appease the masses by playing what they wanted to hear. Maybe I'm just too spoiled from jam bands, whose repertoire most often includes hundreds of songs, and no two shows are ever alike because of the versatility they have with their setlists. Also, in most occasions, bands like that are meant to be heard live and not in the studio, so their stage presence is always top notch and nothing short of amazing. For Third Eye Blind, I happened to see Cory, an old student of my dad's whom I'd known since we were both in junior high, as well as Ryan, whom I'd met last year at some of the Zen sittings I attended (and intend to continue attending Wednesday evenings). I feel bad for ditching Heather and Rob, who was up from New Jersey to visit and see the show. Still, I hadn't seen these guys in a while, and it was fun to catch up, chill and chat. It was such an awesome, unexpectedly wonderful day.

With all this great stuff going on, it's hard to imagine what the future holds. I try not to think about it, though, and continue living in a constant present. It's seemed to work out pretty well so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home