Friday, August 29, 2008

Slowly breaking through the daylight

Happy Labor Day weekend! In seven minutes, my weekend will have officially begun. I intend to kick it off with a visit to the gym, a drink with my coworkers and a good night's rest. Tomorrow morning (at least I hope it'll still be morning), Darren and I head to upstate New York to my parents' camp in the Adirondacks. Michael's coming up from Nashville to celebrate his 20th birthday. Apparently, his landlord, Danny, was supposed to join him, but something came up. It should be busy at camp, with the Clemens visiting as well and camping outside the house.

I'm glad to be going back there. I've been kind of homesick lately. I feel bad about it, though. I don't view being homesick as a very adult thing to do, and since I'm a full-fledged adult, I think it childish to yearn for the place I grew up. People have told me it isn't anything to be ashamed of, but I can't help it.

Since Darren and I joined Dedham Strength and Fitness, I've learned a lot about fitness and bodybuilding, mostly from BodyBuilding.com. Protein, transformation and lean muscle mass have all become part of my vocabulary. I've read a lot of people's own stories of transformation and what drove them to fitness from the site's forum and articles, and since then I've noticed a transformation of my own. I've been concentrating most of my weight training on my lower body (i.e. butt and legs), and I've noticed my hips have gotten bigger; however, rather than growing larger from fat deposits, I'm relatively certain it's been because of the growth of muscle mass. Like Darren, I've been drinking smoothies made from protein powder and water (I use my new blender to mix them up with crushed ice for a frozen delight that makes a great dessert) that I believe has contributed to this gain. I'm not entirely happy about watching myself get bigger, but as long as it's muscle, I can live with it.

I'm hoping we'll take some pictures this weekend. It'll sure be nice to have an extra day off work this weekend. There's so much going on, and we have to basically cram eight weeks' of work into two or three! One of our freelancers, on his way out of the office after a meeting one day, told me how busy he noticed it was, and I replied that I thought we should hire at least 10 more people just to be able to get everything done on time.

But for now, it's time to unwind and begin the weekend off right. Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

1 Comments:

At 3:47 PM , Anonymous Elyse said...

Hey Liz,

You don't have to feel bad about being homesick. I'm a bit older than you and I get homesick all the time. Thomas Wolfe may have said, "You can't go home again" but he was definitely wrong. It's good to go home and remember where you came from because it shapes where you are going. Hope you had fun at the cabin.

Elyse

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home