Wednesday, September 17, 2008

These thoughts I have I now can claim as mine

I'm already looking forward to this coming weekend. I have been since last weekend, in fact. It was Darren's suggestion that I return home for a weekend, just by myself. My mom had suggested it in an e-mail, which sparked a conversation between Darren and me about the possibility of our spending a weekend apart. I was kind of put off about this suggestion at first, but I realized the "homesick" feelings I brushed off as childish won't go away until I can sate them, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only adult who feels them. And so it's with great anticipation that I await this weekend, the weekend I plan to drive out for a visit.

Mom, Aunt Mo and I plan on going to the Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard in Fly Creek, N.Y., for a little sampling and apple goodness. We go almost every year, and this is prime season in upstate New York for apples. The cider mill is quaint and old-fashioned, with creaky boards in the floors and a cute upstairs that sells seasonal merchandise and where you can see the old mill and learn about how it works. On the main floor, there are tons of samples of everything from salsa to salad dressing to apple cider, wine, soups, candies and all sorts of confections. Did I regret to mention the room full of apples you can bag yourself and mix and match to your desire? On the outside, during the warmer days, there's a little shack selling lunch items such as soups (in bread bowls!), sandwiches, hot dogs and delicious desserts such as pies and ice cream. We usually get lunch there (though since I've become vegetarian the options for me are limited -- even the cheese soup has ham in it, as I was dismayed to discover the hard way), but I think this time we're going to make the drive to Richfield Springs to visit my grandparents. Luckily, it's just on the way, since the cider mill is near Cooperstown. I always love the drive up, especially in fall: The trees with gorgeous-colored leaves line the back roads, and farm silos loom in the distance amid horses and cows grazing on the vibrantly green grasses. As I about it now, I wonder how I could have left it, but then I reflect on the life I have now so close to a major city and yet still surrounded by natural beauty, and I realize how content I am with the choices I've made.

The rest of the weekend I plan on relaxing at home, getting away from it all and spending time with my family. As Darren said, it'll be a good time for him to file receipts and do other odd jobs he's been meaning to do, and it'll give me time to catch up on all the TV shows I've been missing and desperately need to catch up on. I can start the mornings by taking Maggie for walks, reflecting on my childhood in the small town I grew up in, reliving memories as I pass by my old high school and the streets I haunted for nearly the first 18 years of my life. Whenever I reminisce about my childhood (as I've been doing a lot lately), I think automatically of home and the feelings of comfort and safety come rushing back. Fall I hold especially dear, as the sights, smells and overall feelings just seep through my every pore and warm me through and through. Perhaps I should return to writing poetry, as the past couple years since I stopped taking poetry classes my writing frequency has ebbed to a slow trickle, if that. If given the time and opportunity, I could probably write a thousand poems just about fall and the feelings I get from it.

Friday right after work I'll stick around for a few minutes for happy hour to have a few snacks and chat with my coworkers, and then I'll set off on the road to Herkimer. I'm sure the time will fly, and on Sunday afternoon I'll make the trip back to Boston and regular life.

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, it's been a while since your last post--whats going on with you these days?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home