Thursday, May 21, 2009

California, California, here we come

It's only a matter of hours until Darren and I fly out to Los Angeles for our five-day Memorial Day vacation. We'll be staying with two of his friends -- one in Irvine, one in L.A. proper -- and engaging in lots of cool sightseeing, athletic, and culinary activities and adventures. We've been planning this trip for months and scored two direct flights from Boston to L.A. and back for relatively cheap, leaving us more money to spend on eating and adventuring. I promise to return with many exciting stories, and, I'm hoping, a tan ...

Besides finishing up things at work before I leave early today, I'm also in the midst of preparing for my fourth German host family's arrival in late July. They're taking a tour of the American East Coast and have changed their plans to make an extra stop in Boston to see Darren and me. It's so exciting, since they've never been to the U.S. before, and I haven't seen them in about three or four years. When I was first there as an exchange student six years ago, their son and daughter were 10 and 8, respectively. They're now 16 and 14! I can't believe they've already grown so much. I can't imagine what they look like and who they've become. I often think about my host families and friends back in Germany and wish I could go back to visit more than every four or five years. These days, it's especially difficult because of obligations here in the U.S. But this visit should be extra special, and I can't wait to share my own home country (and one of my favorite American cities) with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home