Friday, May 08, 2009

Memories fade, like looking through a fog mirror

The weather has taken a turn for the best, and I really hope it holds out tonight for Elyse's birthday party. Honestly, I've been waiting all week for this. It's been awhile since I've gotten out and attended a nice function surrounded by friends. I think I sometimes take for granted just how fortunate I am to have so many of my friends from college nearby -- we all seemed to migrate to Boston. I know some of us had talked for a few years of moving out here, and now our dreams are a reality. I can't wait to add even more memories tonight to our already long list.

It's not really that great of a song technically or musically, but I've heard it so many times on the radio now I'm beginning to fall for it, as well as the band. The song is "Sometime Around Midnight" by the Airborne Toxic Event. It tugs on my heartstrings, leaving me with this pulling feeling in my chest. I've got to investigate the rest of the band's debut, self-titled album soon.
As you stand under the bar lights
and the band plays some song about losing yourself for a while,
and the piano's this melancholy sound check to her smile.
And that white dress she's wearing -- you haven't seen her for a while.

But you know that she's watching,
she's laughing, she's turning, she's holding her tonic like a crux.
The room suddenly spinning, she walks up and asks how you are.
So you can smell her perfume, you can see her lying naked in your arms.

And so there's a change in your emotions.
And all these memories come rushing like feral waves to your mind
of the curl of your bodies like two perfect circles entwined.
And you feel hopeless and homeless and lost in the haze of the wine.

And she leaves with someone you don't know,
but she makes sure you saw her. She looks right at you and bolts.
As she walks out the door, your blood boiling, your stomach in ropes.
And then your friends say, "What is it? You look like you've seen a ghost."

- "Sometime Around Midnight" by the Airborne Toxic Event
I also hope the weather stays good throughout the weekend. Either day (I'm thinking Sunday, which looks to be the best as of now), we're hoping to go for another bike ride with Igor. We were supposed to go last weekend, but postponed it because of the ominous weather, which actually turned out to be beautiful on Saturday ... anyway, the weather report was giving me the runaround, promising rain for Saturday and Sunday, but now it says it'll be decent. It better stay that way!

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM , Anonymous Elyse said...

It was great to see you on Friday! Thanks for the sweet card :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home