Friday, May 29, 2009

Seven oceans pummel the shores of the sea

A long-awaited, detailed memoir of my trip to Los Angeles is forthcoming. Just hold on a little while longer! There's so much to be done in the meantime ...

Work consumed me once again as soon as my first day back. I came to my desk and found it littered with stuff people had rummaged through but failed to return properly. Boxes were piled up and sticky notes strewn across my desk with instructions and tasks for me upon my return. It was completely overwhelming seeing all that there -- so much stuff that I felt needed to be taken care of all at once and as quickly as possible. Still, I muddled through, taking one thing at a time, and soon my desk was neat and organized again, everything in its place.

Now, everyone's traveling (or in one of our editors' case, getting married and going on his honeymoon), and there are literally six people in the office today, including myself. It'll be a quiet yet busy day, with clients coming in for a meeting this morning and lots of images yet to track down for the Naval Academy.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, when Darren and I are volunteering at Earth Fest, an environmentally friendly fair and concert event sponsored by Whole Foods and Radio 92.9 at the Hatch Shell downtown. Our shift runs from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. -- our job basically involves making sure everything that needs to gets recycled properly. There will be tons of vendors from all over offering free samples of their wares (free food!), and artists such as Soul Asylum and Shawn Mullins will be performing in the afternoon. As volunteers, we get a voucher for a free box lunch from a vendor on site, as well as a free T-shirt and wristband that allows us into the "VIP" section of the stage for the performances. I'm excited to help a worthy cause, eat lots of free samples (Barbara's Puffins was there last year when we went, and we won a free stuffed puffin and got lots of single-serving packs of Barbara's cereal; Clif Bar and Starbucks were also there, along with some other great companies offering organic pizza and chocolate, and Whole Foods was practically giving away groceries and environmentally friendly shopping bags), and finally see Soul Asylum in concert. If anyone's interested in this great event, please stop by the Hatch Shell tomorrow between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. for some great fun, and don't hesitate to seek me out and say hi!

Sunday, I believe we're going biking again with Igor. That is, if Darren's stomachache allows him to. He started feeling queasy last night just as we were going to bed, and that feeling continued this morning. At first he blamed sour soymilk, but I tested it and ruled out that hypothesis. I really hope he feels better today -- we have a busy weekend ahead of us, not to mention Darren starts his new job bright and early Monday morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home