Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm waiting and fading and floating away

What a week, and there's still a day left to it! Now that I've finished another script (my fourth for the Naval Academy, which I've taken over since our producer left the project last Friday, and my fifth for work overall), my mind is completely set on traveling to Herkimer tomorrow with Darren. We're spending the night at my parents' house and then driving up to White Lake to their camp early Saturday morning to spend the rest of the weekend celebrating a trifecta of events: Grammy's birthday, Grammy and Grampy's anniversary, and Father's Day.

The weather, however, had other plans, so I imagine we'll be inside for most of it. Even now in New England, the weather is shoddy at best, and it's supposed to stay that way for a while. I'm not too concerned, though; all that matters to me, really, is spending time with loved ones away from the hustle and bustle and not worrying about anything else.

Since taking over many of the responsibilities left to me for the Naval Academy, I feel I've risen to the occasion quite well as a quasi-producer. All requests and questions from editors or people we're working with on the project come directly to me, since the original inception was that I would be the one staying with the project throughout and as a direct liaison and assistant to the producer would be the most intricately familiar with it and which I think has happened. Along the way, I've gotten even more familiar with Photoshop and even got to write a few scripts. I can't begin to say how grateful I am to have the opportunity. It's given me a new goal: to eventually become a successful producer.

Darren has taken to his new job at Raytheon quite well, and last Friday was the first he was able to take off as part of the special hours they allow employees to work. Basically, if you work 80 hours in 9 days, you get the 10th (Friday) off. Darren's taken advantage of this plan, partly because the commute to and from Tewksbury and Dedham isn't so great. We've been talking more recently about starting to research the possibility of moving further north to somewhere between our two offices. I'm thinking Waltham ...

Pending a confirmation from my boss, we'll have July 3 off, since the 4th falls on a Saturday this year. Darren and I are hoping to spend the three-day weekend somewhere fun, a little getaway vacation. He mentioned Old Orchard Beach in Maine, somewhere I'd never heard of, much less been to. It sounds nice, though, and I really hope it works out ... and the weather behaves.

1 Comments:

At 4:01 PM , Blogger Don M.F.H. said...

Liz - if you're looking for old Navy boats (saw your Twitter post), check Battleship Cove in Fall River. Everything there is from the WW2 days!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home