Monday, September 21, 2009

I would return the favor, oversleep the rapture

We watch the season pull up its own stage
and catch the last weekend of the last week
before the gold and glimmer have been replaced.
Another sun-soaked season fades away.
- Dashboard Confessional, "Stolen"
Today is the last official day of summer, though it feels like it officially left a couple weeks ago. The days have been warm, usually mid-70s, but mornings and evenings can dip to as low as 40. According to my grandfather, who makes a point to stay well-apprised of such things, the Farmer's Almanac predicts heavy snows and cold temperatures this winter. I figure once Halloween comes and goes, it's all downhill from there. Fall's pretty much over, and the holidays creep in and take over with the blowing and snowing and storming. Somewhere in between is Thanksgiving, but even then, it's not unusual for there to be snow as we're carving turkey with all the trimmings.

Luckily, though, Darren and I plan on being in Tennessee with his sister, brother-in-law, nieces, nephew, and Caleb the maltipoo for the November holiday. We haven't made any flight plans yet -- we never usually do until the last minute, much to my chagrin -- but that's the plan. I'm also hoping we'll get to spend some time with Brian and Neil, two brothers with whom Darren grew up while living in Tennessee. I'd also like to learn how to make Darren's sister's fabled cheese bread and get a proper lesson from a family friend on making traditional Filipino foods, such as pan de sal and adobo. Though with adobo, there really is no uniform, traditional way to make it. Every region in the Philippines -- more accurately, each Filipino household -- has its own way to make adobo, so there really is no "right" way to do it. All you need are the base ingredients (meat, vinegar, soy sauce, various spices), and you can pretty much make it up as you go along ...

And yet it's still pretty difficult for me to even begin thinking too in-depth about the upcoming holidays, though I know any day now they'll be at my front door, waiting for me to greet them. I'm just not ready yet. I'm still trying to hold on to summer, and this is my last day to do it. Still, the prospects of Halloween and the harvest time always fill my heart with nostalgia and all those bittersweet feelings and memories of falls past. I once wrote a sonnet about the season for a poetry class in college that I'd say is the best poem I've ever written. I happen to be on my personal laptop at work while I await the arrival of a new Macbook Pro, since my G4 has become too cumbersome to use, so I can access my treasure trove of poetry to post that very sonnet:
AUTUMN
And once the birds begin to dot the sky
as they make their way to southerly climes,
the leaves — those holy nymphs — cascade in reply
to the Earth as the big harvest moon climbs

in the sky at night. Below, in the dirt
under the aging, graying maple tree,
the children work with rakes in overshirts
to pile up the rocks and fallen debris.

The dying sky heaves and makes one last breath,
exhaling an outpour of icy steam
that signifies the land's impending death
and covers it with a shadowy gleam.

Through all of this, it’s the most peace I find
when watching changing colors of this kind.
(c) Liz Petty
Going back and reading my old poetry like this makes me realize how badly I need to start writing poetry again.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:33 PM , Anonymous Elyse said...

Great poem Liz--I used to love writing poetry too but haven't in so long--you've inspired me!

 
At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,

I, too, am constantly amazed at the speedy passage of time. I feel as though every day is an hourglass, turned over and over and over again, because the days seem far too short for all that I desperately want to accomplish.

Your poetry shimmers with beauty, and I do sincerely hope you will share some more of your work with us. Perhaps some Holiday-themed work illustrating the glories that will surely befall you. God bless!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home