Friday, October 02, 2009

The headlights are beacons on the highway

It seems my future has taken a turn for the better. I've never felt as if I've ever been in control of my future -- it always hangs upon the whims and decisions of highers-up or of nature itself -- whether in my career, schooling, upbringing or anything else. But sometimes those decisions in which I have no say are ones I wouldn't have decided anyway, and they turn out to better my life in boundless, inexplicable ways. It may be an odd twist of fate or the planned-out thoughts of someone with my best interests at heart. Whichever it may be, it's the one time I'm most thankful for losing control of my life.

And so, for the first time I'll be going on a multiday business trip. From Oct. 13 to 15, I'll be in Annapolis, Md., for a shoot at the U.S. Naval Academy for a 10-minute-or-so film. We'll be interviewing midshipmen, teachers and filming around the campus. I'm really glad my first trip out in the field is to the Naval Academy: I really took ownership of that project -- if only in my own mind -- while I was working on it; and I especially took ownership of it from the time she left the project to the time Matt took the reins. Because of that project, I'm where I am today. Because of decisions made on my behalf, I associate-produced the project and gained the necessary experience to move up in the world and tackle even bigger undertakings.

I'm majorly glad it's Friday. On Mondays it always seems like the weekend is so far away, but it's never long before another one comes along. Fridays are always a welcome respite, as the weekend still holds so much potential, and you have that anticipation of what's to come and that yearning to finally get there already. Saturday's forecast predicts high 60s and thunderstorms, so I'm thinking that'll be a "stay in and knit" day. Those days are relaxing and can be fun (and Darren got a couple new games -- "Boom Blox" for Wii and "Gears of War 2" on Xbox 360 -- that he wants us to try out together), but I end up yearning for stuff to do outside. Luckily, there's Sunday, which is supposed to be nicer. Today's probably the best last day for Darren to take his motorcycle for a spin before tucking it in for the season, running anti-seize goop through its system and taking out the battery and hooking it up to the charger in our basement for the winter. It's the perfect day for him to put the lining back on the motorcycle jacket I got him and take "Ezzie" for one last spin.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,

Your blog postings always leave me wanting to know more! It sounds like you are making fantastic strides in the workplace and accordingly, your company is entrusting you with very demanding projects. My strong faith leads me to believe that you will perform exceptionally and will continue to receive projects of wonderment.

I do sincerely hope that you will keep posting more frequently. Your writing is so delicate and beautiful--you certainly have a unique way of viewing the world, and I feel so blessed to be reading your work.

As always, God Bless!

 
At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,

I am so looking forward to details from your inaugural business trip! I do hope you will give your loyal readers an update soon. I can't bear to wait much longer!

Bless you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home