Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Life's for us to talk about

Happy 2010, everyone! And no, I didn't pronounce it "twenty-ten," a pronunciation various television media outlets have adopted ... "two thousand ten" suits me quite well, thank you!

The holidays are officially over, and thus begins the long slog to spring. It's during this time that winter seems especially interminable and "cabin fever" develops. By that, I mean I become restless, depressed from lack of sunshine and too much snow, anxious for some days off work or a vacation to warmer climes. As it stands, I'm hoping we'll find some time — a week or so, maybe — to spend in Memphis with Darren's sister and the kids, whom we didn't get to see during the holidays.

A complicated snag prevented us from ringing in the new year elsewhere, but we had fun nonetheless. I was let out of work early, and I stopped by BJ's on the way home and picked up a bottle of red wine and some shrimp cocktail. I baked up some delicious pan de sal (not a traditional Filipino New Year bread, but a traditional Filipino bread nonetheless, and I was determined to make one for this occasion), poured us some wine, and we sat at our dining table talking for about an hour. It was an incredibly intimate and relaxing time, one I wish we had more time to share more often. It always amazes me how much we can talk about and how we never run out of things to joke about or discuss, despite our being together 2 1/2 years now. I know, some couples who've been together 50 years haven't run out of things to talk about, but for me, it feels pretty good.

At midnight, we watched the ball drop on TV and stayed up a little longer before collapsing in bed, barely believing we were already into the wee hours of 2010. The weekend brought lots of snow, which ruined our plans of hitting up the mall in Natick to spend some gift cards.

Darren's extra-long holiday break from work ended Jan. 4, but he's only gone for two days. Yesterday afternoon, he developed piercing stomach pains and left a little early. The pains continued overnight and all today. On top of that, the cough and stuffy nose he developed over the holidays, though it's gotten better, is still around. This morning, he slept in and scheduled an appointment with a doctor. He went in to work today for a few hours before the appointment. It pains me to see him so obviously suffering and in pain, and I want so badly to be able to help, but all I can do is suggest that he take medicine and sit by and comfort him. Maybe that's enough, but it isn't for me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home